Thursday, April 1, 2010

Geek Chic Lifestyle Exclusive: Stephanie Sack of Vive La Femme (By Rebecca "Bonks" Rothschild)

Vive La Femme is a deliciously kitch Bucktown boutique specializing in what I like to call curvalicious women, aka sizes 12-24. Stephanie Sack is the owner with a great sense of style and personality. She has been so kind to let me bug with her with questions. I'll tell you right now, she is a prime example of how to live the geek chic lifestyle so pay attention. Here are some of the adorable and flirty looks courtesy of Vive La Femme:

bandlu Marisol dress, Toto shruggieZen Knits tank, Fashion Overdose skirt


Bonks: Can you describe for me how Vive La Femme came to be?

Stephanie: "Vive la femme's concept came to me in totality when I was 18. I was very frustrated as I was shopping for clothes to take to college and wanted the ease of a store with plus sizes but the glamourous experience of a chic boutique. Even at that age, I could not understand why that was such a radical combination and decided right then and there that one day I would do it myself. Over the next few years I worked at boutiques for smaller gals and learned how to work with customers, create a sense of fun and frivolity, and some general aspects to running a boutique. Ten years later, I was jobless and sick of working for other people, so I decided to take a chance and go fot it! Entreprenerialsm is in my blood -- my mother and both grandfathers worked for themselves so I had great examples and lots of encouragement. I knew the shop had to be in swanky neighborhood, so I lucked into a small space in Bucktown and that was that!"

Bonks: What is your personal, favorite part about Vive La Femme?

Stephanie: "My absolute favorite part of vive la femme is the fact that we positively affect so many women! I have met literally thousands of gorgeous, sexy, kickass women and I am proud to say my staff is the most gorgeous, most sexy, and most kickass of them all! We empower women of size to actualize into the movement, embrace where they are and who they are RIGHT NOW, and to honor themselves through curve-friendly and confident adornment. We have dressed women for interviews, vacations, weddings, and dates; we have become part of their lives as they live in the world. The next best part is the CLOTHES! We have fabulous clothes and I get first crack at them all!"

Bonks: What is your history with Chicago?

Stephanie: "Chicago is my hometown and playground! I grew up in Lakeview, was educated in Old Town and Evanston, lived in Andersonville, Wicker Park, and Humboldlt Park, opened a business in Bucktown, got engaged in Logan Square, was married at the Chicago Cultural center, and currently reside in Lincoln Square. My folks are on the Gold Coast and my sister is in the West Loop. A few years ago I decided to become more engaged and active in my city, and have since explored the many cutural opportunities at which Chicago excels, including cinema, cuisine, art, music, performance, nightlife, and commerce. I LOVE Chicago and am a diehard Chicagoan!"


Bonks: Do you have goals for Vive La Femme yet to be achieved?

Stephanie: I would love for vive la femme to expand into a range of products and options for stylish women of size! I am currently working on a new concept that will be an excellent counterpart to vive la femme, and can see the vive la femme lifestyle translating to a number of other opportunities. Nothing makes me happier than working with plus-size women, so it's something I plan to do for a long time!
Bonks: So, can I get some nerd credentials?

Stephanie: "NERD CREDENTIALS! LOL!!! I love it! Hmmmm....as a child I wanted to be kidnapped by UFOs so I wrote "Take Me" on a sheet of paper and taped it to the top if my head...I rang handbells in junior high and high school which was a ticket to total teenage geekdom...was and still am a rabid Twin Peaks fan......major theatre nerd as a teenager....diehard X-Phile...I once went to buy a new pair of glasses and told the salesgal to "show me the nerdiest pair of black frames you have"...went to opening night of Interview with the Vampire...was a practicing Gothgirl for fifteen years and exclusively wore all-black, black hair, combat boots, the whole bit...I know all sorts of weird trivia about Elvis...I went to Burning Man a few years ago...how's that for you?


See what I mean?! How can you not love this woman?! You guys should check out what this lady has in stock at Vive La Femme. Check it out at www.vivelafemme.com or stop for a visit at 2048 N Damen. Again big thanks to Stephanie Sack, our newest honorary Sugar Gamer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bonks © 2008. Design by Pocket