Friday, January 22, 2010

Here's to Bungie's Hero movement


I know everyone has something to say about Bungie but I do have to tip my hat to them for their "Be a Hero" Halo event. I won't lie, there are days I curse Bungie for being unable to ban all the hackers, knowing full well that's just a bad game of cat and mouse. But Bungie has really made an impressive effort that makes me feel good about investing A LOT of my cash into their products and this event was like the icing on a cake.
For those unaware, Bungie encouraged Halo players to rock a red heart emblem on their Spartans and Elites, in return, for every 1000 participants who sport the emblem they would donate 100$ to the Haiti cause. Some say they did it just to bump up their numbers and pull people back from COD, but I can't agree. SOMETIMES PEOPLE JUST WANT TO HELP! KNOCK IT OFF YOU WEB TROLLS! I've been playing the past two days and have seen nothing but red hearts wall to wall, it's pretty moving.



Gamers are often considered apathetic, and emotionless drones. Seeing so many hearts says that despite one's judgement, there are a ton of gamers out there who give a shit. Now I know that not all gamers are incredibly informed or generous but the shear number of hearts makes me think that even those who normally wouldn't care, made a decision to do something proactive. Of course the act of changing one's emblem is not difficult, but it made being charitable very accessible. Just being able to get people to do something, no matter how small I feel is a step in the right direction. Bungie has a vast following from the more mature to the youngsters so I think it's good that these young gamers see someone like Bungie setting a great example. As you know, Sugar Gamers has declared a crusade against gamer stereotypes so I had no choice but to bring to light the amazing response from our gaming friends. I hope to see a lot of copy cat movements similar to this one and I hope that anyone who owns Halo3 or ODST will make sure to pop on and play for the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bonks © 2008. Design by Pocket