Monday, December 21, 2009

Geek Chic Lifestyle #1 (Social Graces)

Geek Chic Lifestyle tips are for all the nerdy girls who want to find a healthy balance between nerdy chick and sophisticated woman. I want to cast all those stereotypes about geeky women to the wind. I don't want to take away from your personal style, I just want you to be confident and not underestimated or judged. There is nothing wrong with a healthy gaming, or sci fi obsession, but it doesn't mean we have to conform to certain lifestyle or appearance, geeks have the right to be chic.

Considering the holidays are here and face time with family and friends is necessary. I thought it would be a good time to talk about one's social interaction. So many of my geeky lady friends are very reclusive because of their social anxieties, they worry they're not dressed right or won't have anything in common with anyone. Even if both these things are true, you can still have a good time. Geeky women are notoriously intelligent and have vast ranges of interests which make them interesting. I know, cyberspace is great, you don't have to shower, and you can be naked if you want to while communicating, but face to face interaction is something a geek chic woman should conquer. So I've got a list of things you can do, to make social situations easier. All of these things are in reference to things I've seen myself and friends do when we're uncomfortable at social event.

1. Smile, I know it's cliche, but it really does work, it makes you approachable. When you don't make a conscious effort to smile, your nervous energy will show on your face. I'm not talkin' about flashing your teeth everywhere, just turn those corners of your mouth up a little bit. When you happen to make eye contact with someone, even if you don't know them, just go ahead and smile at them anyway maybe give a slight nod. You know, anime style.


2. Body language. NO HUGGING YOURSELF!!! With your arms wrapped around you like that you look terrfied and put people off. My trick, props. If your purse isn't enough to fiddle with, go ahead and grab a drink, it doesn't have to be alcoholic, it can be water for all I care, it just keeps your hands busy.

3. Wallflower syndrome. Leaning against a wall with a forlorn look on your face while texting on your phone is a great way to bring down the mood of an event while making time drag on forever. If you haven't found someone to socialize with yet there are a few things you can do. One, explore your surroundings a little, check out art on the walls or just take notice of the architecture. While doing this just listen for something you can somewhat relate to and go ahead and jump in. Don't hear anything that rings a bell? Then pull a basic, effective female maneuver, compliment another female's outfit or accessory.

4. Your geeky side is a great part of who you are, but when answering questions like "what are some of your interests?" or "So what do you do for fun?" You don't want to overwhelm them with an answer like "I love retro 80's anime like (insert obscure anime title)...." Remember that many of our interests are not in the mainstream, it's not like pilates or pottery. I know I've felt pretty stupid trying to explain to people what anime is to those who have no idea. Some of the things I've gotten away with:


Comic books = "I'm a comic book enthusiast, I really love these new modern stories."


Anime= "I love science fiction, especially the animated series."


Video Games= "I love technology" (Don't judge me)


These answers are often acknowledged and then we move on. Sometimes they are intrigued and ask me to elaborate. Should this happen to you, remember not to overwhelm people with information, keep it general.


5. Don't be someone else. You are you, no time like the present to embrace it. You'll get so caught up in your act that you'll get lost, no fun.


I'm so tired of my fellow geeks shying away because they feel they don't fit. Remember my dear geeky goddesses, everyone has to make face time sometime. And you have the potential to make things interesting, and most importantly, make it your own. Sorry to get mushy on you there, but it's true.

3 comments:

  1. this was a great post. i was talking to keisha recently and told her even though i KNOW how to talk to people, inside i still feel nervous at first meeting. everyone wants to be accepted to a certain degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. Yeah I still get a few butterflies when I have a lot of first impressions to make.

    ReplyDelete

 
Bonks © 2008. Design by Pocket