Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Geek Chic Lifestyle #5 Accessories (By Rebecca "Bonks" Rothschild)

*On a side note: who's ready for spring? I know I am. Okay, back to the matter at hand.

Oooooooh weeeee you geeky gals can pile on the extras on your outfits. Let's take a hint from Coco Chanel who brilliantly said "Before you leave the house, take something off." Less is always more when it comes to accessories. So let's do this.

Bracelets:

Even Bollywood doesn't go this overkill. Try again.
Now that's how you flash a little gold. Doesn't need anything else because it makes a big enough statement on its own. Even with the thin bangles, they should not being up to your elbows, that's a lot of jingling noise.

Necklaces:

Geeky girls are notorious for fashioning jewelery to make a counter culture statement. Please refer to the below example.

Now this is fabulous, I can't help but love. But if you're looking for something more work appropriate or just something a little more clandestine perhaps we could try something more like the following.
Oh yes, yes, yes. How chic is this!? Play your cards right and you can rock that at the club.

Rings:


Does this look familiar? Don't shake your head at me liar! You know damn well there's a good portion of you out there with hands decked out like this that could overload a metal detector. Knock this mess off! Are you planning on punching someone in the face and leaving funny markings on their forehead? Because if that's the case I'll allow it, but once the job is finished, those things need to come off.

Now aren't these adorable? Not only do they make a subtle, geeky statement, but it's also just enough. You'd be amazed how much more of an impact you can make when you don't lather on so much. You don't want to bury those cute little things under a ton of loud ass rings do you?

Belts:

As promised from my last installment, I will tell you how to use your more flamboyant belts in grown person fashion but first I need to show you an example of what needs to be thrown out by the time you're 20.

These things scream "I'm 15!" Not to mention you cannot get that glitter off of you to save your life!

I for one am in love with the comic belt, and I see a lot of you ladies with 'em which is wonderful. HOWEVER, when you rock these belts with loud tees and all the damn bracelets and rings you like to put on, the belt gets buried. Again, you can make a larger statement with less. Keep the shirt you wear with this more on the neutral side and rock a good pair of jeans that fit like we talked about last time and it's all good.

I would also like to make a quick note on belt buckles:
Okay, this is a great set to make my point. First off, no nerdy belt buckle works for work, unless you have one of those awesome jobs we talked about. Okay ladies, quiz time, which buckle is the one I'll let you wear?
The answer is the Transformer piece in the middle. Why? Because it's clearly a belt buckle and not something that looks like it's been welded to your pants. And ladies, I do not under any circumstances want to see Vader near your lady business, he can't do anything for you, he's wearing a helmet. Note the size of the controller, it's pretty big. Boys are allowed to rock larger buckles because a good portion of them need to over compensate. Just kidding, it's just a subtle form of male peacocking that I happily tolerate. So ladies, do you really want to draw that much attention to your crotch region? I'd much rather have 'em talking to my rack personally. If they're looking down there, that's just uncomfortable.

I'm not going to cover hats, sunglasses or watches because I can honestly say my geeky girlfriends do just fine when it comes to those three. So good job sub culture! We win one! Love you guys, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bonks © 2008. Design by Pocket