Saturday, February 6, 2010

Heavy Rain: Sneak Preview Thanks to Game Stop (By Rebecca "Bonks" Rothschild)

On a cold February evening, Game Stop was kind enough to open it's doors to Sugar Momma and I for an exclusive look at "Heavy Rain," PS3's hot project.


So, what makes "Heavy Rain" such a big hype machine? For one, there's a lot of highly sensative motion controls. You can't just throw the controller around like a Wii controller while playing Mario Party. You gotta treat it like a lady. You can also interact with almost anything, and of course, all actions come with consequences. You make a lot of decisions, from little ones to big ones not knowing how big the ripple effect will be. I can already tell there will no doubt be great replay factor with the sheer size of decisions and directions you can take.

The graphics are good, now I wasn't looking at a finished product so I won't make my final call on looks until this baby is born. Same goes for somewhat choppy dialog. The only thing I'm pretty certain won't change is the "Origami Killer" title. Oh geez, I gotta tell ya, it just sounds kinda cheesy, but I'll leave it alone. You never know, Halo Recon became ODST in a flash so maybe there's still a chance for a change, but I'm not counting on it.

The game is trying to build an atmosphere that will soon come crashing down. You do get somewhat pulled in, but I personally have the attention span of a fish and couldn't stay put for long. There's a very light, lala land kind of intro with bright light filters which turns into gritty grays after the murders occur. It's was very much like playing through an
atmospheric suspense movie.

I won't lie, I hope the hype can be maintained at a decent level. Sometimes too much talk can kill games like this. again, I was not looking at a finished product so none of my thoughts here are final.

Our own Sugar Momma, Ms. Keisha Howard was actually able to get her hands on the controller to experience the game demo first hand. Look for her follow up piece on her experiences coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bonks © 2008. Design by Pocket